[Numpy-discussion] Interactive Shell/Editor/Workspace(variables)View/Plots

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:39:43 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to python and tools like matplotlib and Mayavi so I may be
> missing something basic. I've been looking for a fairly lightweight
> editor/interactive shell combo that allows me to create plots and
> figures from a shell and play with them and kill them gracefully. The
> Mayavi documentation describes using IPython with the -wthread option
> at startup and while this works well I really would like to use an
> environment where I can see the variables. I really like the PyDee
> layout and it has everything I need (editor view, shell, workspace,
> doc view) but I don't think it can be used with IPython (yet).
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> In Pydee I can generate plots and update them from the shell but I
> can't (or don't know how to) kill them.

I'm using now pydee as my main shell to try out new scripts and I
don't have any problems with the plots. I'm creating plots the
standard way
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
plt.plot(x,y)

and I can close the poping up plot windows.
if I have too many plot windows, I use plt.close("all")
and it works without problems.
Sometimes the windows are a bit slow in responding, and I need to use
plt.show() more often than in a regular script.

I especially like the source view doc window in pydee, and the select
lines and execute, and ...

Josef