[Numpy-discussion] Interactive Shell/Editor/Workspace(variables)View/Plots

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:26:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > To me, IPython is the right way to follow. Try "whos" to see what's in
> your
> > namespace.
> >
> > You may want see this instructional video (A Demonstration of the
> 'IPython'
> > Interactive Shell) to learn more about IPython's functionality or you can
> > delve in its documentation.
> >
> > There are IPython integrations plans for pydee. You can see the details
> on
> > pydee's google page.
> >

> > Gökhan
>
> Thanks Gokhan,
>
> I didn't know about whos so thanks for the tip. What about a
> lightweight editor with an integrated IPython shell then?
>
> I also found PyScripter which looks pretty nice too but also has the
> same lack of IPython shell.

I use scite as my main text editor. It highlights Python syntax nicely, and
has code-completion support. Well not as powerful as Eclipse-PyDev pair but
it works :) And yes PyDev doesn't have IPython integration either.
Eclipse-PyDev is also slow to me, (loading takes lots of time :)) and shell
integration not as easy as in IPy. I am looking forward to pydee developer's
to bring IPython functionality into their development environment.

Besides, PyScripter, there is also Eric4 as a free IDE for Python, but again
no IPython.

So far, IPython-Scite is the fastest that I can build my programs.
Experiment in Ipython and build pieces in Scite. I would like to know what
others use in this respect?