[Numpy-discussion] Howto vectorise a dot product ?

bruno Piguet bruno.piguet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:21:07 EDT 2009

2009/6/9 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>

> Well, in this case you can use complex multiplication and either work with
> just the x,y components or use two complex components, i.e., [x + 1j*y, z].
> In the first case you can then do the rotation as V*exp(1j*phi).

In the real case, it's a real 3-axes rotation, where  M = dot (M1(psi), dot
(M2(theta), M3(phi))). The decomposition in 2D-rotations and the use of
complex operation is possible, but the matrix notation is more concise.

If you want more general rotations, a ufunc for quaternions would do the
> trick.

You mean something like Christoph Gohlke's "transformations.py" program ?

I'll also chek if I really ned vectorisation. After all, Numpy slicing is
known to be efficient.

I'll do some timing with the pseudo-vectorial function :

def rotat_vect(phi, theta, psi, V):
    for i in xrange(len(phi)):
        rotat_scal(phi[i,:], theta[i,:], psi[i,:], V[i,:])

Bruno.