[Numpy-discussion] Plans for Numpy 1.4.0 and scipy 0.8.0

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 21:15:47 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM, David Cournapeau <
david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> (Continuing the discussion initiated in the neighborhood iterator thread)
>
> Hi,
>
>    I would like to gather people's opinion on what to target for numpy
> 1.4.0.
>    - Chuck suggested to drop python < 2.6 support from now on. I am
> against it without a very strong and detailed rationale, because many OS
> still don't have python 2.6 (RHEL, Ubuntu LTS).
>    - Even if not many new features have been implemented since 1.3.0,
> there were several changes which would be quite useful (using npy_math
> from numpy for scipy.special, neighborhood iterator for scipy.signal).
> So releasing 1.4.0 soon would be useful so that scipy 0.8.0 could depend
> on it.
>    - Fixing crashes on windows 64 bits: I have not made any progress on
> this. I am out of ideas on how to debug the problem, to be honest.

I think this is an essential requirement for numpy. I am prepared to attempt
to try to help as I now have a 64-bit windows system I can use. Just that I
do not like the windows environment for programming one bit. So I would
appreciate any pointers to get the necessary functional system for 64-bit
windows.

Probably the other item I would suggest is resolving the Matrix issues and
having the best solution implemented.

Bruce