[Numpy-discussion] Call for testing: full blas/lapack builds of numpy on windows 64 bits

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 03:00:07 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or just a Vista bug.
>
> A possible option could be using wine64
> (http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64) . But is probably more work and if
> even if it did work it may not be informative.

Win64 is not yet usable AFAIK - it was only a few weeks / months ago
they were capable of running a hello world I believe. Numpy is notably
more complicated than a hello world :) One problem is gcc - gcc 4.4
will be the first release to properly support win64 (I don't claim to
understand all the details, though).

> I virtually avoid windows for work so I can not answer your question.
> I knew about the issues from another person trying to compile code
> using WinGW on another almost identical 64 bit Vista system. Even the
> related thread seemed to solutions that only worked for some people
> and I do not know if a solution was found in that case.

Which related thread ?

> Anyhow, I do agree that having Python 2.6 support is more important
> than running the anti-virus software.

I am afraid that if it crashes from time to time, people will complain
to us, not to the AV software. Hopefully, once gdb runs reliably on
that platform, we will be able to diagnose the problem a bit better.

David