[Numpy-discussion] Bilateral filter

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Sun Mar 1 13:59:16 EST 2009

>> Well, the latest cython doesn't help -- both errors still appear as
>> below. (Also, the latest cython can't run the numpy tests either.)
>> I'm
>> befuddled.
>
> That's pretty weird.  Did you remove the .so that was build as well as
> any source files, before doing build_ext with the latest Cython?  Also
> good to make sure that the latest Cython is, in fact, the one being
> used.

Yeah... and I just tried that again, with the same results. I have no
idea what could be going wrong. E.g. why would 'cimport numpy as np'
not add np to the namespace on my machine whereas it does so on yours...

Also, I assume that constructs like:
         cdef int i, dim = data.dimensions[0]
are some special numpy-support syntax that's supposed to be added by
the cimport numpy line? (Because numpy arrays don't expose a
'dimensions' attribute to python code...) It's like for some reason on
my machine, cython isn't building its numpy support correctly. Which
is understandable in the light of the fact that cython can't pass the
numpy tests on my machine either. Odd indeed. Maybe I'll try on the
cython list, since you guys seem to have demonstrated that the problem
isn't in the bilateral code!

Zach