[Numpy-discussion] Help on subclassing numpy.ma: __array_wrap__

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:57:43 EST 2009

Kevin,
Sorry for the delayed answer.

> (a) Is MA intended to be subclassed?

Yes, that's actually the reason why the class was rewritten, to
simplify subclassing. As Josef suggested, you can check the
scikits.timeseries package that makes an extensive use of MaskedArray
as baseclass.

> (b) If so, perhaps I'm missing something to make this work.  Any
> pointers will be appreciated.

As you've run a debugger on your sources, you must have noticed the
calls to MaskedArray._update_from. In your case, the simplest is to
define DTMA._update_from as such:
_____
     def _update_from(self, obj):
         ma.MaskedArray._update_from(self, obj)
         self._attr = getattr(obj, '_attr', {'EmptyDict':[]})
_____

Now, because MaskedArray.__array_wrap__() itself calls _update_from,
you don't actually need a specific DTMA.__array_wrap__ (unless you
have some specific operations to perform, but it doesn't seem to be
the case).

Now for a word of explanation:
__array_wrap__ is intended to transform the output of a numpy function
to an object of your class. When we use the numpy.ma functions, we
don't need that, we just need to retrieve some of the attributes of
the initial MA. That's why _update_from was introduced.
Of course, I'm to blame not to have make that aspect explicit in the
doc. I gonna try to correct that.
In any case, let me know how it goes.
P.