[Numpy-discussion] A module for homogeneous transformation matrices, Euler angles and quaternions

Gareth Elston gareth.elston.floss at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:10:10 EST 2009

I found a nice module for these transforms at
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/code/transformations.py.html . I've
been using an older version for some time and thought it might make a
good addition to numpy/scipy. I made some simple mods to the older
version to add a couple of functions I needed and to allow it to be
used with Python 2.4.

The module is pure Python (2.5, with numpy 1.2 imported), includes
doctests, and is BSD licensed. Here's the first part of the module
docstring:

"""Homogeneous Transformation Matrices and Quaternions.

A library for calculating 4x4 matrices for translating, rotating, mirroring,
scaling, shearing, projecting, orthogonalizing, and superimposing arrays of
homogenous coordinates as well as for converting between rotation matrices,
Euler angles, and quaternions.
"""

I'd like to see this added to numpy/scipy so I know I've got some
reading to do (scipy.org/Developer_Zone and the huge scipy-dev
discussions on Scipy development infrastructure / workflow) to make
sure it follows the guidelines, but where would people like to see
this? In numpy? scipy? scikits? elsewhere?

I seem to remember that there was a first draft of a guide for
developers being written. Are there any links available?

Thanks,
Gareth.