[Numpy-discussion] Cython numerical syntax revisited

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Thu Mar 5 02:44:29 EST 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi Dag
>
> 2009/3/5 Dag Sverre Seljebotn <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no>:
>> More details: http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/buffersyntax
>
> Interesting proposal!  Am I correct in thinking that you'd have to
> re-implement a lot of NumPy yourself to get this working?  Or are you
> planning to build on NumPy + C-API?

First off, the proposal now is simply to change the syntax for existing
features, which would simply disable arithmetic and slicing this time
around. Slicing could perhaps happen over summer, but aritmetic would
likely not happen for some time. The only point now is that before the
syntax and work habit is *too* fixed, one could leave the road more open
for it.

But yes, to implement that one would need to reimplement parts of NumPy
to get it working. But because code would be generated specifically for
the situation inline, I think it would be more like reimplementing
Numexpr than reimplementing NumPy. I think one could simply invoke
Numexpr as a first implementation (and make it an optional Cython plugin).

The fact that any performance improvements cannot be done incrementally
and transparently though is certainly speaking against the syntax/semantics.

--
Dag Sverre