[Numpy-discussion] [JOB] Short-term python programming consultant - funds expire soon!

Rob Clewley rob.clewley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:39:45 EDT 2009

Dear Pythonistas,

Our open-source software project (PyDSTool) has money to hire an
experienced Python programmer on a short-term, per-task basis as a
technical consultant (i.e., no fringe benefits offered). The work can
be done remotely and will be paid after the satisfactory completion of
the objectives. The work must be completed by the end of April, when
the current funds expire. The basic work plan and design documents are
already laid out from previous work on these tasks, but the finer
details will be negotiable. We plan to pay approximately $2-3k per
task, depending on the exact code design and amount of time required.

Prospective consultants could be professionals or students but must
have proven experience with SWIG and both python and numpy distutils,
and be willing to write a short document about the completed work for
future maintenance purposes. We have a template for a simple contract
and invoices can be relatively coarse-grained. As an open-source
project, all contributed code will be BSD licensed as part of our
project, although it will retain attribution of your authorship. We
have two objectives for this work, which could be satisfied by two
individual consultants but more likely by one:

(1) This objective involves completing the implementation of automated
compilation of C code into DLLs. These DLLs are dynamically created
from a user's specification in python. The DLLs can be updated and
reloaded if the user changes specifications at the python level. This
functionality is crucial to providing fast solving of differential
equations using legacy solvers written in C and Fortran. This
functionality is relatively independent from the inner workings of our
project so there should be minimal overhead to completing this task.
We need to complete the integration of an existing code idea for this
objective with the main trunk of our project. The existing code works
as a stand-alone test for our C legacy solver but is not completed for
our Fortran legacy solver (so that numpy's distutils needs to be used
instead of python distutils) and needs to be integrated into the
current SVN trunk. The design document and implementation for the C
solver should be a helpful template for the Fortran solver.

(2) We need a setup.py package installer for our project that
automatically compiles the static parts of the legacy differential
equation solvers during installation according to the directory
structure and SWIG/distutils implementation to be completed in
objective (1). If the consultant is experienced with writing python
package installers, he/she may wish to negotiate working on a more
advanced system such as an egg installer.

PyDSTool (pydstool.sourceforge.net) is a multi-platform, open-source
environment offering a range of library tools and utilities for
research in dynamical systems modeling for scientists and engineers.

Please contact Dr. Rob Clewley (rclewley) at (@) the Department of
Mathematics, Georgia State University (gsu.edu) for more information.

--
Robert H. Clewley, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

tel: 404-413-6420 fax: 404-413-6403