[Numpy-discussion] new numpy error in 1.3.0.dev6618

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 01:45:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Christopher Hanley <chanley at stsci.edu>wrote:

> ERROR: test_float_repr (test_scalarmath.TestRepr)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
>
> "/Users/chanley/dev/site-packages/lib/python/numpy/core/tests/test_scalarmath.py",
> line 101, in test_float_repr
>     val2 = t(eval(val_repr))
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> NameError: name 'nan' is not defined

> Ran 2018 tests in 10.311s
>
> FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=1, SKIP=1, errors=1)
> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=2018 errors=1 failures=0>
>  >>> numpy.__version__
> '1.3.0.dev6618'
>  >>>

> This was run on a Intel Mac running OS X 10.5.6.

There are other problems:

>>> np.float64(-0.0)
-0.0
>>> np.float128(-0.0)
-0
>>> np.float32(-0.0)
-0

I suppose this is a side effect of float64 being derived from python float.

Now that we have endian (and we should expose it to python somewhere, maybe
in info/finfo) it should be possible to simplify the test using honest ieee
for various extreme values. I suppose we will also need to distinguish
between quad precision (SPARC) and extended precision somewhere. Numpy can't
do that at the moment. However, it can be detected at runtime or we could
use some architecture specific macros.

Chuck