[Numpy-discussion] Enhancements for NumPy's FFTs

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Sat Mar 14 16:16:29 EDT 2009

1) I have noticed that fftpack_litemodule.c does not release the GIL
around calls to functions in fftpack.c. I cannot se any obvious reason for
this. As far as I can tell, the functions in fftpack.c are re-entrant.

2) If fftpack_lite did release the GIL, it would allow functions in
numpy.fft to use multithreading for multiple FFTs in parallel
(threading.Thread are ok, not special compilation needed).

3) Is there any reason numpy.fft does not have dct? If not, I'd suggest
addition of numpy.fft.dct and numpy.fft.idct.

4) Regarding ticket #400: Cython now makes this easy. NumPy's FFTs should
be exposed to C extesions without calling back to Python.

Can I open a ticket for this and take care of it? At least 1, 2 and 4
should only take me an hour or so to write, so it might even be ready for
1.3.0.

Sturla Molden