[Numpy-discussion] using assertEqual in unittest to test two np.ndarray?

Grissiom chaos.proton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 20:31:02 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 05:03, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> for testing purposes it is available in numpy testing:
> from numpy.testing import assert_equal,  assert_almost_equal,
> assert_array_equal
>
> does not raise AssertionError

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
>    assert_array_equal(a,a+1)
>  File "C:\Programs\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py",
> line 303, in assert_array_equal
>    verbose=verbose, header='Arrays are not equal')
>  File "C:\Programs\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py",
> line 295, in assert_array_compare
>    raise AssertionError(msg)
> AssertionError:
> Arrays are not equal
>
> (mismatch 100.0%)
>  x: array([  1.,   2.,  NaN,   4.])
>  y: array([  2.,   3.,  NaN,   5.])

Great! Thanks! In my case, a NaN is indicating something goes wrong and I
want testing fail on it. So it meet my demand.

One thing more, when I help(np.testing) I only got this:
Help on package numpy.testing in numpy:

NAME
    numpy.testing - Common test support for all numpy test scripts.

FILE
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/testing/__init__.py

DESCRIPTION
    This single module should provide all the common functionality for numpy
tests
    in a single location, so that test scripts can just import it and work
right
    away.

PACKAGE CONTENTS
    decorators
    noseclasses
    nosetester
    nulltester
    numpytest
    parametric
    setup
    setupscons
    utils

DATA
    verbose = 0

So I have to dir it to see is there any other useful functions. It will be
perfect to document package method like assert_equal here.

Thanks very much~;)

--
Cheers,
Grissiom