[Numpy-discussion] Win32 MSI

F. David del Campo Hill delcampo at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 08:17:18 EDT 2009

Dear David,

	Without going into the inherent benefits of the MSI (Microsoft Installer) architecture over other EXE setup formats, its main advantage is that MSI packages can be added to Group Policy Objects in Active Directory (Windows domain controller database); this means that, as long as a piece of software comes in MSI format, it can be automatically installed on Windows systems from our central servers without need for our intervention. On top of that, Microsoft have created an open-source (no kidding!) package called WIX (Windows Installer XML; http://wix.sourceforge.net/) which allows you to create MSI packages for free. It does have conditional execution, though I have no idea if it can detect different types of processors.

	In my case, I need to install Python and Numpy on 30+ Windows systems; I have found Python already comes with MSI packages, and would also like to get a Numpy MSI, otherwise I will have to manually install it on all the systems. As far as I am concerned, I do not need the win32 superpack (all my systems are similar), and if there were different MSI packages for different processors I would not mind; it just has to be MSI.

	Sometimes, EXE setup packages are just MSI packages wrapped in an EXE file, that is why I tried to extract the files from your superpack (without luck).

Note: I do not work for Microsoft or receive any money from them; I am just an IT officer one of whose users needs Numpy for teaching. I do not know what Numpy does or doesn't do, I just need it installed fast.

	Thank you for your help.

	Yours,

		David