[Numpy-discussion] Numpy v1.3.0b1 on Linux w/ Intel compilers - unknown file type

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:49:25 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Christian Marquardt <christian at marquardt.sc
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to compile and install numpy 1.3.0b1 on a Suse Linux 10.3 with
> Python
> 2.5.x and an Intel C and Fortran compilers 10.1 as well as the MKL 10.0.
> The
> distutils do find the compilers and the MKL (when using similar settings as
> used successfully for all previous numpy versions sonce 1.0.4 or so), but
> then
> bail out with the following error:
>
>   ...>python setup.py install
>
>   [...]
>
>   running config
>   running config_fc
>   unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands
> --fcompiler options
>   running build_clib
>   Found executable /opt/intel/cc/10.1.018/bin/icc
>   Could not locate executable ecc
>   customize IntelCCompiler
>   customize IntelCCompiler using build_clib
>   building 'npymath' library
>   compiling C sources
>   C compiler: icc
>
>   error: unknown file type '.src' (from 'numpy/core/src/npy_math.c.src')
>
> I think the error message does not even come from the compiler...
>
> I'm lost... What does it mean, and why are there source files named
> ...c.src?

That file should be preprocessed to produce npy_math.c which ends up in the
build directory.  I don't know what is going on here, but you might first
try deleting the build directory just to see what happens. There might be
some setup file that is screwy/outdated also. Did you download the beta and
do a clean extract?

Chuck