[Numpy-discussion] Numpy v1.3.0b1 on Linux w/ Intel compilers - unknown file type

Christian Marquardt christian at marquardt.sc
Fri Mar 27 08:55:34 EDT 2009

Hi David,

> I *guess* that the compiler command line does not work with your
> changes, and that distutils got confused, and fails somewhere later
> (or sooner, who knows). Without actually seeing the errors you got, it
> is difficult to know more - but I would make sure the command line
> arguments are ok instead of focusing on the .src error,
>
> cheers,
>
> David

I'n not sure if I understand... The compiler options I have changed seem
to work (and installation without the "build_clib --compiler=intel" option
to setup.py works fine with them).

To be sure I've compiled numpy from the distribution tar file without any
patches. With

   python setup.py config --compiler=intel \
                   config_fc --fcompiler=intel \
                   build_ext --compiler=intel build

everything compiles fine (and builds the internal lapack, as I haven't given
the MKL paths, and have no other lapack / blas installed). With

   python setup.py config --compiler=intel \
                   config_fc --fcompiler=intel \
                   build_clib --compiler=intel \
                   build_ext --compiler=intel build

the attempt to build fails (complete output is below). The python installation
I use is also build with the Intel icc compiler; so it does pick up that
compiler by default. Maybe something is going wrong in the implementation
of build_clib in the numpy distutils? Where would I search for that in the
code?

Many thanks,

  Chris.

----<snip, snip>--------------------------------------------------------

MEDEA /home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1>python setup.py config --compiler=intel config_fc --fcompiler=intel build_clib --compiler=intel build_ext --compiler=intel build
Running from numpy source directory.
non-existing path in 'numpy/distutils': 'site.cfg'
F2PY Version 2
blas_opt_info:
blas_mkl_info:
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.2.018/lib/32
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_info:
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1383: UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
blas_info:
  libraries blas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries blas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries blas not found in /usr/lib
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1392: UserWarning:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
blas_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1395: UserWarning:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
    the BLAS_SRC environment variable.
  warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
  NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_opt_info:
lapack_mkl_info:
mkl_info:
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.2.018/lib/32
  NOT AVAILABLE

  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_threads_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_info:
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1290: UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
lapack_info:
  libraries lapack not found in /opt/apps/lib
  libraries lapack not found in /usr/local/lib
  libraries lapack not found in /usr/lib
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1301: UserWarning:
    Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack]) or by setting
    the LAPACK environment variable.
  warnings.warn(LapackNotFoundError.__doc__)
lapack_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

/home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1304: UserWarning:
    Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) sources not found.
    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack_src]) or by setting
    the LAPACK_SRC environment variable.
  warnings.warn(LapackSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
  NOT AVAILABLE

running config
running config_fc
unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler options
running build_clib
Found executable /opt/intel/cc/10.1.018/bin/icc
Could not locate executable ecc
customize IntelCCompiler
customize IntelCCompiler using build_clib
building 'npymath' library
compiling C sources
C compiler: icc

error: unknown file type '.src' (from 'numpy/core/src/npy_math.c.src')
MEDEA /home/marq/src/python/04_science/01_numpy/numpy-1.3.0b1>