[Numpy-discussion] Built Lapack, Atlas from source.... now numpy.linalg.eig() hangs at 100% CPU

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 27 12:36:55 EDT 2009

Chris Colbert wrote:
> forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't installing atlas from the
> repositories defeat the purpose of installing atlas at all, since the
> build process optimizes it to your own cpu timings?

Yes and no. Yes, it will be slower than a cutom-build atlas, but it will
be reasonably faster than blas/lapack. Please also keep in mind that
this mostly matters for linear algebra and big matrices.

Thinking from another POV: how many 1000x1000 matrices could have you
inverted while wasting your time on this already :)

cheers,

David