[Numpy-discussion] Porting strategy for py3k

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Mon May 4 08:22:34 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn

>>> Yes, this could be done independently. I am not familiar with PEP
>>> 3118; from the python-dev ML, it looks like the current buffer API has
>>> some serious shortcomings, I don't whether this implies to numpy or
>>> not. Do you have more on this ?
>>>
>> Not sure what you refer to ...
>>

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-April/088211.html
>
> Thank you for those information.
>
> I don't understand what is meant by "not implemented for
> multi-dimensional array", and the consequences for numpy. Does it mean
> that PEP 3118 is not fully implemented ? Is the status of the buffer
> interface the same for python 2.6 and python 3 ?

The "memoryview" is not implemented on 2.6, but that's just a utility
for being able to acquire a buffer and inspect it from Python-space.
 From Cython or C one still has access.

I think this just refers to there not being any multidimensional
consumers nor exporters in the standard library. So from the point of
view of the standard library it is a bit useless; but it is not if one
uses 3rd party libraries. The API itself is working fine, and you can
e.g. export a multidimensional buffer and use it in Cython (defined
__getbuffer__ for a cdef class and then access it through
classname[dtype, ndim=...]), under both 2.6 and 3.0.

Dag Sverre