[Numpy-discussion] linear algebra help

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun May 17 13:21:16 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Quilby <quilby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right the dimensions I gave were wrong.
> What do I need to do for m>=n (more rows than columns)?  Can I use the
> same function?
>
> When I run the script written by Nils (thanks!) I get:
>    from numpy.random import rand, seed
> ImportError: No module named random
>
> But importing numpy works ok. What do I need to install?

This should be working without extra install. You could run the test
suite, numpy.test(), to see whether your install is ok.

Otherwise, you would need to provide more information, numpy version, ....

np.lstsq works for m>n, m<n and m=n, however the meaning of the
solution is different in the 3 cases.
m>n (more observations than parameters) is the standard least squares
estimation problem.

Josef