[Numpy-discussion] Home for pyhdf5io?

albert.thuswaldner at gmail.com albert.thuswaldner at gmail.com
Thu May 21 16:04:00 EDT 2009

Dear list,
I'm writing this because i have developed a small python module that might
be of interest to you the readers of this list:

http://code.google.com/p/pyhdf5io/

It basically implements load/save functions that mimic the behaviour of
those found in Matlab, ie with them you can store your variables from
within the interactive shell (IPython, python) or from within a function,
and then load them back in again. One important difference is that the hdf5
format is used to store the variables, which comes with aa number of
benefits:
- a open standard file format which is supported by many applications.
- completely portable file format across different platforms.

Read more here: http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/whatishdf5.html

And now to the question:

I think that this module is to small to be developed and maintained on its
on, I think It would be better if it could be part of some larger project.
So where would pyhdf5io fit in?
Any tips and ideas are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

/Albert