[Numpy-discussion] example reading binary Fortran file

David Froger david.froger.info at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:48:51 EDT 2009

Sorry, I still don't understand how to use FortranFile ...

============
The fortran code
============

program writeArray

implicit none
integer,parameter:: nx=2,ny=5
real(4),dimension(nx,ny):: ux,uy,p
integer :: i,j

do i = 1,nx
do j = 1,ny
   ux(i,j) = 100.  + j+(i-1.)*10.
   uy(i,j) = 200. + j+(i-1.)*10.
   p(i,j) = 300. + j+(i-1.)*10.
enddo
enddo

open(11,file='uxuyp.bin',form='unformatted')
write(11) ux,uy
write(11) p
close(11)

end program writeArray

=============
The Python script
=============

from fortranfile import FortranFile

f = FortranFile('uxuyp.bin')

x = f.readReals()

=============
The output
=============

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "readArray.py", line 5, in <module>
    x = f.readReals()
  File
"/home/users/redone/file2/froger/travail/codes/lib/Tests/fortranread/fortranfile.py",
line 181, in readReals
    data_str = self.readRecord()
  File
"/home/users/redone/file2/froger/travail/codes/lib/Tests/fortranread/fortranfile.py",
line 128, in readRecord
    raise IOError('Could not read enough data')
IOError: Could not read enough dat

=> How to read the file 'uxuyp.bin' ?