[Numpy-discussion] Random int64 and float64 numbers

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Nov 1 23:04:08 EST 2009

josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

> No, it wouldn't be a proper distribution. However in Bayesian analysis
> it is used as an improper (diffuse) prior

Ah, right - I wonder how this is handled rigorously, though. I know some
basics of Bayesian statistics, but I don't much about Bayesian
statistics from a theoretical POV (i.e. a rigorous mathematical
development).

> To simulate huge uniform integers, I think it should be possible to use
> the floating point random numbers and rescale and round them.

Rescaling and especially rounding may bias the distribution, no ? The
best (but long term) strategy would be to support arbitrary precision
integer, as mentioned by Robert.

David