[Numpy-discussion] Solaris Sparc build broken

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Nov 4 14:55:20 EST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe at stsci.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting the following from r7603 on Solaris Sparc -- somehow related
>> to not having a long double version of next after available.  I realise
>> not everyone has access to (or is dependent on) this platform, so I'm
>> willing to help in whatever way I can, I'm just not sure I understand
>> the change yet.
>>

> The only way to implement nextafter that I know of requires to know
> the exact representation of the floating point number, and long double
> is unfortunately platform dependent.
>
> What is the long double format on solaris sparc ? (big endian I
> suppose, but how many bits for the mantissa and  exponent ? Does it
> follow IEER754 ?)

I honestly don't know -- I've never had to use them.  It would be great
to solve this properly but it's difficult to find definitive information
about these things.

Assuming we can't solve this the "right" way before the next release,
would it be possible for this to raise a runtime "NotImplemented" error
(by not defining the LONGDOUBLE_nextafter ufunc) rather than raising a
compiler error which prevents the build from completing?

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch