[Numpy-discussion] Use-case for np.choose

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 22:40:05 EST 2009

As Josef said, this is not correct. I think the key point of confusion is this:

Do not pass choose two arrays.

Pass it one array and a *list* of arrays. The fact that choices can be
an array is a quirk we can't change, but you should think of the
second argument as a list of arrays, possibly of different shapes.

np.choose(np.ones((2,1,1)), [ np.ones((1,3,1)), np.ones((1,1,5)) ] )

Here the first argument is an array of choices. The second argument is
a *list* - if you cast it to an array you'll get an error or nonsense
- of arrays to choose from. The broadcasting ensures the first
argument and *each element of the list* are the same shape. The only
constraint on the number of arrays in the list is that it be larger
than the largest value in a.

If you try to make the second argument into a single array, for one
thing you are throwing away useful generality by forcing each choice
to be the same shape (and real shape, not zero-strided fake shape),
and for another the broadcasting becomes very hard to understand.

Anne