[Numpy-discussion] Solaris Sparc build broken

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Nov 11 10:33:59 EST 2009

Thanks.  Behind that, however, it runs into this compiler shortcoming:

cc: build/src.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.5/numpy/core/src/npymath/npy_math.c
"numpy/core/src/npymath/npy_math_private.h", line 229: invalid type for bit-field: manh
"numpy/core/src/npymath/npy_math_private.h", line 230: invalid type for bit-field: manl

It seems that Sun compilers (before Sun Studio 12, C compiler 5.9),
don't support bit fields larger than 32-bits.  Welcome to my world :)

You can see a discussion of this here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tools-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg02634.html

and the release notes for Sun C compiler 5.9 here:

http://docs.sun.com/source/820-4155/c.html

The best solution I've been able to dream up is to use a macro to get at
the manh bitfield on these older compilers.  This fix does seem to pass
the "test_umath.py" unit tests.  It's not as clean as the bit-field
method, but it should be more portable.  You can see what I'm getting at
in the attached (rough) patch.

Can you think of a better solution?  If this is *the* solution, we may
want to add getters/setters for all the members (sign, exp, manl) and
fix nextafterl in terms of those, just for consistency.

Cheers,
Mike