[Numpy-discussion] finding close together points.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:30:48 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>
> > Didn't we already do this?
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg21010.html
>
> Indeed we did. What I posted then ( and have improved a bit now). Is a
> Python version. Written in Python, it has an advantage of using less
> memory for a big array, but is slower in other respects than a Python
> list. This is probably why we all use lists for this when we need it!

IIRC, python lists *are* expanding arrays of contiguous memory, not linked
lists. They are efficient for appending and indexing, less so for deletion
and insertion. It's one of those tradeoffs. So what you buy with an array
implementation is the space/time efficiency of not having to allocate python
types to put on the list. But you probably need to go through a python type
at some point anyway, so...

Chuck