[Numpy-discussion] Adding the new polynomial/chebyshev modules.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 16 19:05:35 EST 2009

Charles R Harris wrote:
> That's what I ended up doing. You still need to do "import
> numpy.polynomial" to get to them, they aren't automatically imported
> into the numpy namespace.

good start. This brings up a semi-off-topic question:

Is there a way to avoid importing everything when importing a module
deep in a big package? My example: we just started using
scipy.spatial.ckdtree in a project that doesn't (yet) use anything else
in scipy.

The import line:

from scipy.spatial.ckdtree import cKDTree

takes a LONG time and adds 262 modules to sys.modules

It also added 15MB to our py2exe package and who knows how much memory
it is using up.

As far as I can tell, it is perfectly functional with only ckdtree.so
and kdtree.py

Is there a solution to this short of a complete re-structuring of scipy?

-Chris

Tests:

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 22 2008, 07:57:53)

mem use: 37404

 >>> import sys
 >>> len(sys.modules)
29
 >>> import numpy
 >>> len(sys.modules)
174

mem use: 45700

 >>> len(sys.modules)
291

mem use: 52384

So I guess memory use isn't that bad (by modern standards!), but I'd
still rather not have 115 or so modules in there!

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov