[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Nov 19 18:26:37 EST 2009

On 19-Nov-09, at 5:36 PM, Scot Denhalter wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> You don't need a fortran compiler for numpy, even if you are building
>> from source; and you probably don't need to build from source.  Did
>> you
>> try the suggested binary packages for the Mac as listed on the nltk
>> site?
>>
>> http://www.nltk.org/download

> Yes, I downloaded the files recommended on that webpage.  The tar.gz
> files
> unpack, but they do not install, and I am too much of a newbie to
> figure out
> how to install the files in the unpacked folder.  No matter where I
> placed
> the numpy folder, I couldn't get Python 2.6 to find and install numpy.
>
> Nevertheless, I did finally find .dmg downloads for numpy and
> matplotlib and
> they installed without my having to get involved.
>
> But when I run a dispersion_plot function, I get an error message from
> Python, which I don't understand:
>
> Warning (from warnings module):
>  File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
> site-packages/matplotlib/dates.py",
> line 91
>    import pytz.zoneinfo
> ImportWarning: Not importing directory
> '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
> site-packages/pytz/zoneinfo':
> missing __init__.py
>
> Python launches the dispersion plot in another window as it apparently
> should, so why am I getting an error message?  Perhaps, those of you
> who
> program in Python can explain this  to me.

I don't know why it would be trying to import zoneinfo since it
doesn't seem to be a code directory, it just contains various data for
timezone stuff. I'm CC'ing matplotlib-devel since that's really a
matplotlib problem and not a Python or NumPy one.

David

P.S. please don't top-post replies, it makes things hard to follow.