[Numpy-discussion] Python 2.6, NumPy on CentOS 5.3

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 23 23:53:59 EST 2009

rkdelisle at gmail.com wrote:
> An application package that I have requires Python 2.6 and NumPy.
>
> I've installed Python 2.6 in a parallel manner as follows:
>
> NO modification of the core Python2.4 in /usr/bin has been done.
> Rather, I installed Python 2.6 under /opt/Python_2.6.4 and modified my
> user (not root) environment variables appropriately. The directory
> /opt/Python_2.6.4 was modified with chown to give me rwx access.
>
> To install NumPy, I've downloaded the latest .tgz sources (v1.3.0) to
> build. When I attempt to configure/build I receive various errors
> related to blas and lapack. The NumPy configuration is searching
> /usr/lib, /usr/lib64, /usr/local/lib, and /usr/local/lib64 for various
> blas, lapack, and atlas libraries. Within /usr/lib64 I do find a few
> lapack and blas and lapack libraries installed (libblas.so.3.1.1 and
> liblapack.so.3.1.1), but configure is not finding them.

You need the *.so and not the *.so.3.1.1. The latter are enough to *run*
applications linked against the library, the former is necessary to link
against them. IOW, you need the devel packages for blas, lapack (and
python). If you want to do it without admin rights, there is no other
solution than building them by yourself.

David