[Numpy-discussion] Producing a Histogram When Bins Are Known

Sebastian sebas0 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 06:18:34 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:01 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Wayne Watson
> <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Joseph,
> > That got it by the fig problem but there is yet another one. value is
> > not defined on the very long line:
> > range = ...
> >    Wayne
>
> (values is the data array, ... no idea about
> scientificstat.standardDeviation)
>
> Sebastian's example is only part of a larger script that defines many
> of the variables and functions that are used.
>
> If you are not yet familiar with these examples, maybe you look at the
> self contained examples in the matplotlib docs. At least that's what I
> do when I only have a rough idea about what graph I want to do but
> don't know how to do it with matplotlib. I usually just copy a likely
> looking candidate and change it until it (almost)  produces what I
> want.
> For example look at histogram examples in
>
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/index.html
>
> Josef
>

> > josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> >> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Sebastian <sebas0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> you need to create a figure, before you can use it
> >>
> >> fig = pylab.figure()
> >>
> >> Josef

> range=(numpy.mean(values)-3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(values),numpy.mean(values)+3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(values)),
> >>>>

> gausx=numpy.arange(numpy.mean(Value)-3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(Value),numpy.mean(Value)+3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(bpty_plt),0.1)
> >>>>

> gaus=normpdf(gausx,numpy.mean(Value),scientificstat.standardDeviation(Value))

> bins=math.sqrt(len(values)),
> >>>>>

> range=(numpy.mean(values)-3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(values),numpy.mean(values)+3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(values)),
> >>>>>

> gausx=numpy.arange(numpy.mean(Value)-3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(Value),numpy.mean(Value)+3*scientificstat.standardDeviation(bpty_plt),0.1)
> >>>>>

> gaus=normpdf(gausx,numpy.mean(Value),scientificstat.standardDeviation(Value))

>  Thoughts

> it

> > --
> >           Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
> >
> >             (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> >              Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
> >
> >                   350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350
> >                     Make the number famous. See 350.org
> >            The major event has passed, but keep the number alive.
> >
> >                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Chris I',m using the package Scientific.Stats to calculate the standard
deviation.
I believe it is from here:
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/plone/software/scientificpython/
I use the Scientific.Stats package for the standard deviation calculation
because back when I wrote the code I realized that numpy's standard
deviation seems to assume that you have all the distribution (the parent
population),while I think the Scientific.Stats is more accurate for smaller
samples. But maybe there is an equivalent numpy standard deviation.
If I recall OK the difference is an (n-1) instead of an (n) in the formula.
For larger samples both the numpy and the  Scientific.Stats standard
deviation shouldn't be too different
.
So I use the range to specify  the values to bin over. It seems you might
want your range parameter to be different.
I'm choosing the range to be +/- 3-sigma, and that way ignore values that
are too extreme so my bins a more concentrated about the distribution.  OK
so I also have to add the following import line in the code, too:

import Scientific.Statistics as scientificstat

Sebas