[Numpy-discussion] Computing Simple Statistics When Only they Frequency Distribution is Known

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 28 22:45:28 EST 2009

David Goldsmith wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Wayne Watson
> <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net <mailto:sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>>
> wrote:
>
>     I actually wrote my own several days ago. When I began getting myself
>     more familiar with numpy, I was hoping there would be an easy to use
>     version in it for this frequency approach. If not, then I'll just
>     stick
>     with what I have. It seems something like this should be common.

>     > If you need more stats with weights, then the attachment in
>     > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/604  is a good start.
>     >
>     > Josef
>

> Wayne:
>
> There is no need to "unwind": If Y(X) is the (unnormalized) freq.
> distr. of random variable/data X, start by computing y = Y/(Y.sum())
> (if Y is already normalized, skip this step).  Then:
>
> av(X) = np.dot(X, y), sd(X) = np.sqrt(np.dot((X*X), y) - (av(X))^2),
> and higher moment statistics can be calculated utilizing similar
> formulae.
>
> DG
I was only illustrating a way that I would not consider, since the
hardware has already created the pdf. I've already coded it pretty much
as you have suggested. As I think I mention ed above, I'm a bit
surprised numpy doesn't provide the code you suggest as part of some
function. CalcSimplefromPDF(xvalues=mydatarray, avg=ture, minmax=true,
...).

                   350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350
                     Make the number famous. See 350.org
            The major event has passed, but keep the number alive.

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>