[Numpy-discussion] convert strides/shape/offset into nd index?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Sun Nov 29 10:36:24 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm curious as to what the most straightforward way is to convert an
offset into a memory buffer representing an arbitrarily strided array
into the nd index into that array. (Let's assume for simplicity that
each element is one byte...)

Does sorting the strides from largest to smallest and then using
integer division and mod (in the obvious way) always work? (I can't
seem to find a counterexample, but I am not used to thinking too
deeply about bizarrely-strided configurations.) Is there a method that
doesn't involve sorting?

Thanks,
Zach