[Numpy-discussion] merging docs from wiki

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:19:01 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm done reviewing all the improved docstrings for NumPy, they can be
>> merged now from the doc editor Patch page. Maybe I'll get around to doing
>> the SciPy ones as well this week, but I can't promise that.
>>
>> Actually, scipy was a lot less work. Please merge that too.

Sorry to ask again, but it would really be very useful to get those
docstrings merged for both scipy and numpy.

The scipy docs merge cleanly, anyone with commit access can do it, like
this:
1. Go to http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/patch/ and log in.
2. click on "Select OK to apply"
3. click on "Generate patch"
4. select all the text in the browser and save as a patch.
5. apply patch, commit

For numpy in principle the same procedure, except there are some objects
that need the add_newdocs treatment. There are two types of errors, my
question is (mainly to Pauli) if they both need the same treatment or a
different one. Errors:
1. source location not known, like:

ERROR: numpy.broadcast.next: source location for docstring is not known

2. source location known but failed to find a place to add docstrings, like:

ERROR: Source location for numpy.lib.function_base.iterable known, but
failed to find a place for the docstring

Cheers,
Ralf