[Numpy-discussion] Database with Nulls to Numpy Structure

Mark Janikas mjanikas at esri.com
Fri Oct 2 19:31:33 EDT 2009

Thanks for the input!  I wonder if I can resize my own record array?  I.e. one call to truncate... Ill give it a go.  But the resize works great as it doesn't make a copy:

In [12]: a = NUM.arange(10)

In [13]: id(a)
Out[13]: 190182896

In [14]: a.resize(5,)

In [15]: a
Out[15]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4])

In [16]: id(a)
Out[16]: 190182896

Whereas the slice seems to make a copy/reassign:

In [18]: a = a[0:2]

In [19]: id(a)
Out[19]: 189981184

Pretty Nice.  Pre-allocate the full space and count number of good records... then resize.  Doesn't seem that much faster than using the lists then creating arrays, but memory should be better.  Thanks again, and anything further would be appreciated.

MJ