[Numpy-discussion] NumPy SVN broken

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:37:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > Looks like a clue ;)
>>
>> Ok, I fixed it here:
>>
>> http://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/fix_abi
>>
>> But that's an ugly hack. I think we should consider rewriting how we
>> generate the API: instead of automatically growing the API array of
>> fptr, we should explicitly mark which function name has which index,
>> and hardcode it. It would help quite a bit to avoid changing the ABI
>> unvoluntary.
>>

> I'm thinking the safest thing to do is to move the new type to the end of
> the list.

That's what the above branch does.

> I'm not sure what all the ramifications are for compatibility to
> having it stuck in the middle like that, does it change the type numbers for
> all the types after?

Yes, there is no space left between the types declarations and the
first functions. Currently, I just put things at the end manually, but
that's really error prone.

I am a bit lazy to fix this for real (I was thinking about using a
python dict with hardcoded indexes as an entry instead of the current
.txt files, but this requires several changes in the code generator,
which is already not the greatest code to begin with).

David