[Numpy-discussion] Objected-oriented SIMD API for Numpy

Mathieu Blondel mathieu at mblondel.org
Wed Oct 21 05:10:09 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Ah, I think you are mistaken, then - he referred to merging numpy and
> scipy into python during his talk, not cython.

Oh, I meant to say CPython (the default implementation of Python), not
Cython. I didn't realize that they were different projects.

So the method dispatch seems to be a great obstacle to an
object-oriented SIMD API. That would seem more feasible in C++ with
non-virtual methods. Java has final methods, which can be useful
information to the JIT. C# seems to have "sealed" methods.
Interestingly, the Mono.SIMD API uses static methods, which I guess is
to avoid the dispatch problem. But it makes the code look uglier. For
example, instead of a + b, you have to do Vector4f.Addition(a, b).

Mathieu