[Numpy-discussion] recommended way to run numpy on snow leopard

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 21 05:28:09 EDT 2009

Robin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the recommended way to run numpy/scipy on mac os
> x 10.6 is. I understood previously it was recommended to use
> python.org python and keep everything seperate from the system python,
> which worked well.

You can simply use the --user option to the install command: instead of
installing in /System, it will install numpy (or any other package) in
$HOME/.local, and you don't need to update PYTHONPATH, as python knows
about this location.

This is a new feature in  2.6, and can be a simple alternative to
virtualenv if you don't need the other features (sandboxing, etc...). I
think you need a very recent version of virtualenv on slow leopard, if
you decide to go this route,

David