[Numpy-discussion] recommended way to run numpy on snow leopard

Robin robince at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:58:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering what the recommended way to run numpy/scipy on mac os
>> x 10.6 is. I understood previously it was recommended to use
>> python.org python and keep everything seperate from the system python,
>> which worked well.
>
> You can simply use the --user option to the install command: instead of
> installing in /System, it will install numpy (or any other package) in
> $HOME/.local, and you don't need to update PYTHONPATH, as python knows
> about this location.

Thanks - that looks ideal. I take it $HOME/.local is searched first so
numpy will be used fromt here in preference to the system numpy.

My only worry is with installer packages - I'm thinking mainly of
wxpython. Is there a way I can get that package to install in
$HOME/.local. (The installer only seems to let you choose a drive).
Also - if I build for example vim against the system python, will I be
able to see packages in $HOME/.local from the python interpreter
inside vim?

Cheers

Robin