[Numpy-discussion] recommended way to run numpy on snow leopard

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Wed Oct 21 10:09:35 EDT 2009

> Wow.  Once again, Apple makes using python unnecessarily difficult.
> Someone needs a whack with a clue bat.

Well, some tools from the operating system use numpy and other python
modules. And upgrading one of these modules might conceivably break
that dependency, leading to breakage in the OS. So Apple's design goal
is to keep their tools working right, and absent any clear standard
for package management in python that allows for side-by-side
installation of different versions of the same module, this is
probably the best way to go from their perspective.

Personally, I just install a hand-built python in /Frameworks. This is
very easy, and it is also where the python.org python goes, so 3rd-
party installers with hard-coded paths (boo) still work.

Zach