[Numpy-discussion] Objected-oriented SIMD API for Numpy

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Oct 22 04:05:28 EDT 2009

Mathieu Blondel skrev:
> Peter Norvig suggested to merge Numpy into Cython but he didn't
> mention SIMD as the reason (this one is from me).

I don't know what Norvig said or meant.

However:

There is NumPy support in Cython. Cython has a general syntax applicable
to any PEP 3118 buffer. (As NumPy is not yet PEP 3118 compliant, NumPy
arrays are converted to Py_buffer structs behind the scenes.)

Support for optimized vector expressions might be added later.
Currently, slicing works as with NumPy in Python, producing slice
objects and invoking NumPy's own code, instead of being converted to
fast inlined C.

The PEP 3118 buffer syntax in Cython can be used to port NumPy to Py3k,
replacing the current C source. That might be what Norvig meant if he
suggested merging NumPy into Cython.

S.M.