[Numpy-discussion] distutils docstrings; request for review/help

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 24 11:17:07 EDT 2009

This request is mainly addressed to David Cournapeau I guess.

I wrote docstrings for pretty much all the distutils items not marked
"unimportant" in the doc wiki. Pretty much all the info I got from reading
the code and comments in it, plus a little bit from reading the
distutils.rst file and the Python distutils docs. This was not the easiest
code to understand, so I would like to ask for a review and some help
filling in the blanks.

The main items that I could not finish are:
- VariableSet.interpolate (if you could throw in an accurate description of
exactly what it does, I can polish it up)
- CCompiler_compile (could use more details I'm sure)
- UnixCCompiler__compile (same)
- UnixCCompiler_create_static_lib (same)

Also, I left some comment about either things I was not sure about or things
like unused parameters. You can find them here:
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/changes/ , at the top (made them today or
yesterday). Could you please have a look at those?

Finally, there are some items that could be important to document, but are
marked as unimportant (Configuration class and methods, exec_command, ...).
Would you mind looking through those items on
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/ and change the status of the ones you
think are important to "needs editing"? Then I'll try to finish those too.

Thanks,
Ralf