[Numpy-discussion] Question about np.savez

Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Wed Sep 2 05:47:30 EDT 2009

A Wednesday 02 September 2009 11:20:55 Jorge Scandaliaris escrigué:
> Thanks David, Robert and Francesc for comments and suggestions. It's nice
> having options, but that also means one has to choose ;)
> I will have a closer look at pytables. The thing that got me "scared" about
> it was the word database. I have close to zero experience using or, even
> worst, designing databases. Maybe I am wrong. The way I was considering for
> structuring could be considered like a, rudimentary at least, database.

Well, I agree that the term 'database' is perhaps a bit scaring and I don't
actually like this term to be applied to PyTables --I always like to say that
PyTables is not a database competitor, but rather a companion.

Just for completeness, here it is my own comparison among PyTables and h5py:

http://www.pytables.org/moin/FAQ#HowdoesPyTablescomparewiththeh5pyproject.3F

> I have the feeling this is turning into killing a fly with a cannon...

Maybe.  But if you are going to keep many data on-disk, it can be a nice
advantage in the medium term.

HTH,

--
Francesc Alted