[Numpy-discussion] snow leopard issues with numpy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 4 01:52:15 EDT 2009

Chad Netzer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Wolfgang
> Kerzendorf<wkerzendorf at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> my version of python is the one that comes with snow leopard: 2.6.1
>> hope that helps
>>

> Huh?  I upgraded to Snow Leopard over my Leopard system (i.e not a
> fresh install), and my default is python2.5:
>
>  $ python
> Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)] on darwin
>
> Hmmm, also that looks very old...
>
> [snooping]
>
> Okay, so it seems I probably have an old Mac Python installed in
> /Library/Frameworks, that perhaps was overriding the new Snow Leopard
> python?
>
>  $ type -a python
> python is /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
> python is /usr/bin/python
>
>  $ ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x   9 root  admin  306 Sep  5  2006 2.4/
> drwxrwxr-x  10 root  admin  340 Dec 11  2006 2.5/
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin    3 Apr  5 16:53 Current@ -> 2.5
>
> Geez... I think I was using the MacPorts python, which I deleted after
> installing SnowLeopard, and that exposed some old still installed
> frameworks.
>
>  $ sudo rm /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
>
>  $ type -a python
> python is /usr/bin/python
>  $ hash python
>  $ python
> Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jul  7 2009, 23:51:51)
> [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
>

> Yep, got rid of the old framework executable, and now it finds the
> system python executable.
>
> Man, there is a lot of old cruft of various sort in my
> /Library/Frameworks.  So, note to those upgrading to Snow Leopard,
> look in your /Library?Frameworks folder for old just that may still be
> overriding the newer /System/Library/Frameworks stuff:

Concerning python on snow Leopard, two things will cause quite a few
issues and I expect a few emails on the ML in the next few weeks :):
    - the system python is now 64 bits
    - gcc now targets x86_64 by default (i.e. without -arch).

Apple seems to push 64 bits quite strongly in Snow Leopard, with almost
every app being 64 bits on my system except the kernel of course. OTOH,
this should make  numpy/scipy more easily available for 64 bits on mac
os x, assuming the changes to python itself will be integrated upstream
(I doubt Apple made an effort to send patches upstream themselves).

cheers,

David