[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: GPU Numpy

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Sep 10 05:37:24 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:29:49AM +0200, Francesc Alted wrote:
>    The point is: are GPUs prepared to compete with a general-purpose CPUs in
>    all-road operations, like evaluating transcendental functions,
>    conditionals all of this with a rich set of data types? I would like to
>    believe that this is the case, but I don't think so (at least not yet).

I believe (this is very foggy) that GPUs can implement non trivial logic
on there base processing unit, so that conditionals and transcendental
functions are indeed possible. Where it gets hard is when you don't have
problems that can be expressed in an embarrassingly parallel manner.
There are solutions there to (I believe of the message passing type),
after all matrix multiplication is done on GPUs.

Gaël