[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: GPU Numpy

Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Thu Sep 10 08:28:45 EDT 2009

A Thursday 10 September 2009 11:37:24 Gael Varoquaux escrigué:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:29:49AM +0200, Francesc Alted wrote:
> >    The point is: are GPUs prepared to compete with a general-purpose CPUs
> > in all-road operations, like evaluating transcendental functions,
> > conditionals all of this with a rich set of data types? I would like to
> > believe that this is the case, but I don't think so (at least not yet).
>
> I believe (this is very foggy) that GPUs can implement non trivial logic
> on there base processing unit, so that conditionals and transcendental
> functions are indeed possible. Where it gets hard is when you don't have
> problems that can be expressed in an embarrassingly parallel manner.

But NumPy is about embarrassingly parallel calculations, right?  I mean:

a = np.cos(b)

where b is a 10000x10000 matrix is *very* embarrassing (in the parallel
meaning of the term ;-)

Anyone here can say how the above operation can be done with GPUs?  (and
providing some timings would be really great :)

--
Francesc Alted