[Numpy-discussion] exec: bad practice?

Rick White rlw at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 15 10:30:43 EDT 2009

You're not supposed to write to the locals() dictionary.  Sometimes
it works, but sometimes it doesn't.  From the Python library docs:

locals()
	Update and return a dictionary representing the current local symbol
table.
	Note: The contents of this dictionary should not be modified;
changes may not affect the values of local variables used by the
interpreter.

I think the only way to create a variable with a program-specified
name in the local namespace is to use exec (but I'd be happy to be
corrected).

Cheers,
Rick