[Numpy-discussion] I want to help with a numpy python 3.1.x port

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:10:50 EDT 2009

Hi René,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM, René Dudfield <renesd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as a big numpy user, and someone wanting to help with the python 3
> migration, I'd like to help with a python 3.1 port of numpy.
>
> We(at the pygame project) have mostly completed our port of pygame to
> python 3.0 and 3.1 so can offer some insight into what it takes with a
> CPython extension.
>
> pygame supports python 2.3 through to 3.1, so it should be possible to
> also keep backwards compatibility with the port for numpy.  We can
> also use some of the helper code we used for the pygame port.
>
> I haven't asked the other pygame developers if they are interested in
> helping too... but maybe they will be interested in helping too(since
> they use numpy too).  I'd also be interested in other people helping
> with the effort.  Once I have put some of the ground work in place,
> and got a few parts done it should be easier for other people to see
> what needs changing.
>

> If the python 3 port is something you'd want included with numpy, then
> I'd like to begin this weekend.
>
> I'm not super familiar with the numpy code base yet, so I'd like to do
> it in small changes making small parts compatible with py3k and then
> having them reviewed/tested.
>
> I can either start a branch myself using mecurial, or perhaps you'd
> like me to do the work somewhere else ( like in a branch in the numpy
> svn?).
>
> Which code should I base the port off?  trunk ?

Darren Dale and I are just getting started on a port and welcome any help
you can offer.  Because of the difficulty of maintaining two branches the
only route that looks good at this point is to get the python parts of numpy
in a state that will allow 2to3 to work and use #ifdef's in the c code. What
was your experience with pygames?

Because the numpy c code is difficult to come to grips with the easiest part
for inexperienced c coders and newbies is to start on is probably the python
code. There is a fair amount of that so some plan of attack and a check list
probably needs to be set up. Any such list should be kept in svn along with
any helpful notes about problems/solutions encountered along the way.

We also need David C. to commit his build changes for py3k so we can
actually build the whole thing when the time comes. (Hint, hint). Also, I'm
thinking of skipping 3.0 and starting with 3.1 because of the fixes,
particularly the disappearance of cmp, that went in between the versions.

Chuck