[Numpy-discussion] defmatrix move - new docstrings disappeared

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:24:25 EDT 2009

> > Based on this I suspect there is quite a bit of work that got lost
> > earlier in the summer. A couple of times I saw the count of "needs
> > editing" in the stats go up by several or even several tens. At the time
> > I thought those were all objects that were new to NumPy, but more likely
> > they got moved around and the doc writers redid the work.
>

> I doubt that -- not so much has been moved around. It's easy to see from
> "git log --stat -M -C" that only shape_base, getlimits, and machar have
> been moved around since 2007.
>
> The main cause for "Needs editing" increasing is that I elevated
> occasionally some items from "Unimportant" status that were actually
> important.

Great, now I can sleep again:)

> If you have good ideas how to the "move/delete warnings" should appear in
> the web UI, and what the application should do to make it easy to fix
> them, go ahead and tell them. Designing the UI and how it should work is
> the first part of the work in making any improvements.

One possible solution: have a page with all unhandled moves/deletes, similar
to the Merge page. This page can list all relevant docstrings and have
buttons to copy over the old page, or to ignore the event. As extra
insurance, the newly created page could have a warning added to it in a
comment that there may be a problem.

It may also be possible to copy over the whole page automatically but that
is more risky than clearly asking the user for a manual resolution.

Cheers,
Ralf