[Numpy-discussion] defmatrix move - new docstrings disappeared

Pauli Virtanen pav+sp at iki.fi
Fri Sep 18 11:25:21 EDT 2009

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:42:08 +0000, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
[clip]
> I doubt that -- not so much has been moved around. It's easy to see from
> "git log --stat -M -C" that only shape_base, getlimits, and machar have
> been moved around since 2007.

A complete listing obtained from SQL:

       numpy-docs/reference/generalized_ufuncs.rst

           Taken care of when the move was made.

       numpy.core.defmatrix.asmatrix
       numpy.core.defmatrix.bmat
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.all
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.any
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.argmax
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.argmin
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.getA
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.getA1
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.getH
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.getI
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.getT
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.max
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.mean
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.min
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.prod
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.ptp
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.std
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.sum
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.tolist
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix.var
       numpy.core.defmatrix.matrix_power

           Taken care of, these are here since I copied the old strings to
           numpy.matrixlib.

       numpy.core.numeric.acorrelate

           All features in acorrelate were merged to the main
           correlate function. No way to really avoid lost work here.

       numpy.float96

           Platform issue -- it's just not available on all platforms, and
           so hits a corner case in the app.

       numpy.lib.arraysetops.intersect1d_nu
       numpy.lib.arraysetops.setmember1d
       numpy.lib.arraysetops.unique1d

           These were deprecated. Work lost, but no way to really avoid
           this.

       numpy.lib.function_base.unique
       numpy.lib.utils.issubdtype

           These were committed to SVN before move -- no work lost.

       numpy.ma.core.MaskedArray.torecords

           The function was merged to "toflex" in SVN. No work lost.

       numpy.ma.core.get_data
       numpy.ma.core.get_mask

           These were already taken care of when the move occurred.

       numpy.matlib.empty
       numpy.matlib.eye
       numpy.matlib.identity
       numpy.matlib.ones
       numpy.matlib.rand
       numpy.matlib.randn
       numpy.matlib.repmat
       numpy.matlib.zeros

           These are hidden by some misconfiguration. No work lost,
           I'll try to fix this when I find time for it.

So, in summary, I'm happy to say that not much has been moved around
during two years, and we have caught and fixed all the largest changes
in a few days after when they have occurred. Big thanks to Ralf & Scott
for noticing these!

Reorganization of the codebases is sometimes necessary. The thing to
improve here is adding a better move/delete tracking functionality to
the web application. There's always a balance between doing things
manually vs. writing an automated way -- here, an automated way might be
better, as keeping track of and fixing these manually is somewhat fiddly
work, even though it boils down to a few SQL statements.

--
Pauli Virtanen