[Numpy-discussion] something wrong with docs?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 15:13:04 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav+sp at iki.fi> wrote:
> I think sphinx.ext.doctest is able to also test the ordinary >>> marked-
> up examples, so there'd be no large need for new directives.

Well, >>> examples intermix input and output, and are thus very
annoying to paste back into new code or interactive sessions (ipython
has %doctest_mode that helps some, but you still have to avoid pasting
output). Furthermore, >>> examples get very unwieldy beyond a few
lines, and things like class definitions are hard to do and read in
that mode.

The nice thing about the sphinx full doctest support is that it scales
very well to more complex code blocks.

Cheers,